Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

This Picture/fantasy story called Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was written by Judi Barrett and Drawn by Ron Barrett

Judi Barrett is known as a creative writer that has won many awards for her children's books. She likes to write a lot of fantasy stories including a lot of animals such as Old McDonald and his Apartment house. She is very creative and has a lot of ideas for children's books.

The setting takes place in a town called chewandswallow, in this town there are no stores to buy food, all the food falls out of the sky for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is a really silly town, because people just carry plates and cups around town with them everywhere.

The characters in the book are Henry, his sister, and Grandpa. The sister is the one telling the story of how Grandpa came up with the idea of the story Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. It was because Grandpa was making pancakes, and happen to flip a pancake on Henry's head. It was a silly moment, that when night time came Grandpa had the perfect bed time story.

The conflict/plot of the story is that in the town of chewandswallow the food started to become unable to be eaten. The food got bigger and bigger, or they were gross foods that people would not like eating, and all the food starts destroying the town, and all the people have to move away and go to a different town, before anyone gets hurt.

The mood of this book is silly, happy, and then worried. The idea of the plot is so silly and unconventional, but when the town begins to get into danger because of the food you get worried and curious into what will happen to the town. The idea of the story makes it a happy book.

I really loved this book, it is an idea that I have never read about, and I really liked the images that really showed the town what it was like. This is also a cute story for me because this is also a crazy silly type of story my grandfather would tell me at bedtime. My grandpa is silly and imaginative just like the grandpa in the book, so it was a cute resemblance that I enjoyed reading about. I really enjoyed this book, and hope to read more books from this author.

I would recommend this book to children about the ages 5+ because at this level these children can really understand what is going on in the story without the teacher telling them what is going on.

6 comments:

  1. I love this story! It was one of my favorites as a child and the movie is pretty good also! I think you had a great post that gave us who the characters were and you even told us what the conflict of the story was. I think this would be such a good book to really get the kids thinking about what would happen if our food rained? I know kids would love this book and I am going to be using it in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great book! I think it shows great imagination and will allow for the children's imagination to expand and grow as well. A fun activity after the book would be for the students to draw a picture or write a story that shows their own type of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book as a child!!! And I agree with Kaitlyn I also think that it is a great book to use for imagination purposes. Even though we want children to sit and learn the math and other things it is nice that we can use these books to show them that there is a place for imagination and I think this is a book to have in your classroom library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when you presented this book i thought it was really funny. i really like how much the book encourages imagination and what you can do with your imagination. I would have this book in my classroom and as an activity i would have the kids do something similar to what kaitlyn said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book will always be a classic! I remember reading it when I was in elementary school. It really encourages readers to use their imagination. I think it would be a really cool and fun spin to introduce the tops of weather. Maybe students can draw a picture or write a story about what they imagine raining out of the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great book!! And I really enjoyed your detailed blog! Such a fun book that stresses the importance of imagination and creativity. The activities for this book would be endless and so fun to do with a 1st or 2nd grade class!

    ReplyDelete