Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

This reality/comedy children's picture book written by Judith Viorst is a great book to read. It is called Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No good, Very Bad Day.

Judith is a well known author that writes books for adults, but is more known for her writing of children books, especially her series about Alexander. She also writes poems, writes for news papers and is very talented when it comes to writing.

The setting of the book takes place with Alexander and going through his entire day and why it was the worst day ever, it starts at home for breakfast, moves to school, then back home, and ending in his bed drowning his misery about having the absolute worst day ever.

The main character is Alexander, a child who is mood, and going through stages as a child that is making him realize that bad days happen, and that he just keeps having awful stuff happen to him. Alexander is a spunky child that gets mad at stuff easily such as accidentally going to sleep with gum in his mouth and now it is in his hair, or on the way to school he had to sit in the middle of everyone, not near a window and got clasterphobic.

The conflict with Alexander is that throughout the day he is not getting what he wants, he wants a seat by the window, his best friend does not want to be friends with him anymore, and the dentist found a cavity in his mouth. Throughout the entire day all he says is he wants to move to Australia, and he believes that there none of this negative horrible stuff would happen to him.

The mood of the book was very negative but in a funny way, it was not a sad book, it was an eye opening book even for adults because you realize when you do have a bad day you want to go out of town, you want to leave on a vacation. Then you realize these horrible, no good, very bad days could happen anywhere in the world not just at home.

I loved this book because when I have a bad day I also think about moving away, or going to another town, and I think all of this is only happening to me and nobody cares. When really that is not the truth at all, bad days happen to everyone, everywhere. I really like the fact that throughout the whole book it goes very common mistakes that people not just children make, that make it a bad day.

I would recommend this book to children of all ages because I think at one point or another every child or person can relate to this story line.

5 comments:

  1. I remember reading this book as a kid! I think it is a book that everyone can relate to as well. i also think it is great to read this book to children because when they are having a bad day they tend to be over dramatic and think that the world revolves around them. This book brings light to the subject of having bad days, and makes it funny for people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book!! I read this book in my 3rd grade class and it was so funny. everybody has bad days and we need to teach to children that it happens to everyone and that we can all get through them, and this book does a great job of doing that! I think that this is a good book to have in your classroom library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading this book in grade school too! I really liked that you presented this book by walking us through the pictures. I like that this book shows feelings that typical kids of Alexander's age show and have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of my favorite books when I was younger! It's a really great book because it shows that everyone has those days where nothing seems to go their way, but a bad day is not the end of the world. Overall, this is an excellent book, and I liked how you summarized it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As with all the other comments, this used to be one of my favorite books growing up as a kid! I think this book is put together very well, with the text and illustrations. I remember liking it so much as a kid because how much I could relate to it and the humor I also found in it. Wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete